Sunday, October 27, 2013

What did I learn today?

First snow of the year today, which fit well with my plan to try to prepare for next weekend's quilting retreat.  Cut out a couple of projects to sew, quilted a few small items to bind, made a prototype of something I've been wanting to try, cleaned my iron....  Productive, I guess - though I feel a bit scattered and working in a sewing area that is a total mess doesn't help.  But no time for cleaning up until the end of the month.  Quilt retreat next weekend and then a craft show on Nov 23.  After that - I'll have to grit my teeth and get the mess under control. 

Anyway- back to the prototype - it's for an "aero pac".  I found it in one of my web surfing adventures here.  It's actually pretty easy to make and one of those rare things that actually might be useful - at least I would use it.  In any event, it asks for a couple of little Velcro pieces.  Brilliant me got the stick on kind because they are pre-cut in nice neat little circles.   It says right on the package to make them stronger, stitch them on in addition to sticking them on.  So I tried.  Man - never again!  I tried both my machines, a different needle, etc.  Result - shredded thread, broken thread, gummed up needles (that was probably the worst) and a broken needle.  I ended up stitching them by hand and after that adventure, I have resolved next time they will simply be stuck on.  If they come off, tough luck!  Next time I'm at the store I'll get some old fashioned sew on stuff. 

The prototype turned out OK - but I always learn what not to do on the first one.  The strap is another thing that I didn't get quite right - mostly because the stuff I used isn't exactly what they had in mind for the pattern.  So I'll do it a bit differently next time.


And as a totally random comment - I'm on a Rod Stewart jag this week - I really like his new CD.   Highly recommended. 

Pix next time - have a good week.

1 comment:

  1. This past weekend I was working on a costume for my son and the fabric had shiny plastic disks on it. I went through four gummed up needles before I figured out the trick to sewing it. I put my machine on the slowest speed it has. It took a long time to sew, but it worked wonderfully. I think it was because the speed of the needle was heating up the plastic, leaving a gummy residue on the needle. Of course, that is only a guess. All I know is that after slowing down, I was able to sew with no problems.