Wednesday, April 22, 2009

This and That

Here are the girls - "Goodtime Girlfriends" to be exact. All done but a label.


Yet more playing for me. I suppose you could call it a "sampler." I experimented with a few blocks that I found on the Blocks Galore website and just fooled around with various triangle configurations. If you look closely, you will see that nothing is measured. I literally made it up as I went so in some cases I had to fudge it. And the ladies weren't perfectly square, either - but I opted to cut on the lines rather than make them square because optically they would appear more square that way.
















This one is called "Crazy Loons" - who can resist that?

********************************

I decided that I didn't have enough time to do what I want to do to finish off the dancers. They will have to wait. That and Kristie and Dorothy have talked me into entering it in a show when it's done.
But I still want to have something for Amy when I head west next month. I've been fascinated with the "Snail's Trail" block and had a couple of pieces of glittery blue stars so I started cutting away. I had some white and some yellow left from Monique's quilt so tried some blue stars with white and blue stars with yellow stars. I also had a lighter blue and lighter yellow so did one little star block to see what it would look like - thinking that I might combine them all into one quilt.



This is what the colours look like. My original idea was to put some of each in one quilt but when I looked at them like this I decided I didn't like that idea. The light blue and yellow is obviously too light for this combo and I felt the yellow just wasn't working for me here. But I really like the blue/white combo.

Then I realized that I had put them together incorrectly! Man - some days. So on the white/blue - I think I had five done to the point shown above - I took off the outside triangles and rearranged them. The block is supposed to look like the block below. Much better! This is a 12 inch block.



So this is what it will sort of look like when it's all stitched together. Yes - two different kinds of blue - no rules, remember? I was thinking of calling it "Milky Way" but now I think maybe "Amy's Comet." I'll keep working on it...

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you made a mistake with your block, you just invented a new design! Love the ladies quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear quiltfriend,
    My sister is, after an exiting period, finaly pregnant of her first baby.
    Now I would like to make a bright-colored quilt for her and her baby
    of patches from all over the world. I try to collect scraps of 12x12 cm (5x5 inch).
    Do you have a piece of fabric that may be suitable, perhaps you would sent it to me.
    I would really like to use it!

    Many thanks and warm greetings,
    Elizabeth Kremer
    Wedderweg 91
    9665 JM Oude Pekela
    Netherlands
    http://beautysalonambiance.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete