Sunday, March 22, 2009

Under Construction

About five years ago I picked up this batik on impulse. It's been "decorating" various places in two different houses since then. My original intention was to get it framed and hang it on a wall somewhere. But you know what they say about good intentions.

Then I started quilting... Well this thing is fabric so maybe I could put it in a quilt. For a wall hanging.

I collected some fabric that I thought would coordinate. As it turns out, I think some are a bit bright - but too late now. "Never go back."

I was going for a sort of "random scrambled batik" look. I assembled a bunch of blocks - three different techniques.





So I had the blocks. Next - what to do with them? I played around a bit.This is what I came up with.
It's not finished yet. I'll frame the batik with black then stitch the "quilt frame" to the batik. I want to stitch some beads on it.
But here's my problem: I need a name. "Happy Dancing" is just too easy. "Happy Feet" is clearly plagiarizing. Craig thought of "Dancing to Eternity, " which I like. But I am hoping to figure out something to indicate the African nature of the dancers. I don't know enough about African dancing to come up with an appropriate name so I'm open to suggestions! If you have a good one, I'd like to hear it.

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous fabric! Somehow the panel reminds me of the song "Rhythm of Life" as it's so lively and jumpy - BTW song titles are not copyright. The whole song might be, but the title isn't.

    ReplyDelete